Monday, February 15, 2016

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust!

"All the world is made of FAITH,
And TRUST,
And PIXIE DUST.
So I'll try,
'Cause I finally believe!
I'll try,
'Cause I see where you see!
I'll try. ... To FLY!" 
—"I'll Try," "Return to Neverland" Peter Pan Lyrics

This is something that keeps coming up in my head this week. – And I love it.  Also 'cause it makes me think of my dear Sister Mariah Hatch!  I can't believe she comes home so SOON! Insane! I guess it does make sense though... since I hit my 9 month mark as she returns. (What!!!?) 

It's definitely been a most WONDERFUL week though. Full of HAPPINESS, FINDING, and JOY!

FAITH
TEUST
PIXIE DUST 

Here's my interpretation of these three. 

Obviously FAITH is faith. We must have faith to keep going and to find! 

TRUST. We all have to learn Obedience.  Then we have to trust the Lord in the things He helps us to plan out for the future (goals we set), and then be obedient to those things he brings to our mind. 

PIXIE DUST. DILIGENCE. Through being obedient and having faith, I've learned more about diligence, and in turn, become more diligent. Diligence is like the little extra push we get (of pixie dust) to help us fly and soar round the room (and around our area)! Brilliant things :) I love Peter Pan!

MONDAY. And suddenly I've realized the week actually started out kind of rough. Haha.  But the rainbow always comes after the storm. We went to Piha Beach for P-day. Which... we honestly didn't feel super comfortable being on the actual beach anymore. It was fun when we went to Bethels Beach the week prior with the Butler's after the Zone Leaders gave us permission – but.... when Sister Hobbs and I got to Piha Beach last week with the District, we, and Elder Hunter (our actual District Leader) didn't actually feel comfortable about being on the beach. Elder Hunter had been under the impression that there was some sort of hike trail that would allow you to look over the beach.  The other Sisters in our district, and Elder Hunter's companion went off frolicking through the sand like nothing was wrong.... so, we sat off to the side in a sort of grassy area and just talked – looking out on the water and talking about the day we'll come back and run down the beaches to wade in the water! Good times. Also: Fun fact, it was a super hot and sunny day, and then as we got to the beach – it started raining. Coincidence? Nope. Just God saying, "BE  OBEDIENT!" Haha. Ah – another fun thing about last Monday's P-day? Remember how I told you about a less-active member who I think could do a HECK of a lot better with her choice of partner? Yup. Well, that partner asked Sister Hobbs and I if we "do lap dances." Um...no, Eli. No we don't. 

The night perked up though as we went to visit another less-active family and did a little Family Home Evening about Church, Prayer, and Reading with them (CPR). Super fun – but the kids also started getting tired at the end, so we're going to be going over more in the afternoons now.  That'll be good. 

TUESDAY. Tracting. Our days that begin with tractiving, I've realized, generally are the best. Even though – this day I was honestly ...in a mood. I was fed up with things Sister Hobbs would say (because – there are certain times when I do have to remind myself that she's only just turned 20, and... can be rather immature. ha), and it was hot and humid and ...just ...well, I was onery. But – like I said. Tracting somehow makes things better for me. We didn't find anyone super interested – apart from maybe one? But it was good. It got us out and talking to people.  

We had a lunch break, and then went to visit Ivan – since he still hasn't been able to come to church lately. We honestly stayed at his house longer than was probably needed, but = it was also good. 'Cause, he's missed church. #StupidWork But: Luckily: He gets to come again this coming week! Woot!! 

We had dinner at the Samuelu's :) Aka: The less-active family, who are coming back to support their son who wants to go on a mission. And man, they're just
wonderful. They're offically no longer less-active as of this last Sunday though – cause apparently once they've come 3 weeks in a row, they're no longer less-active! Who knew? I didn't. They're so wonderful though. We then raced ourselves UP THE HUGE HILL (yeah, we ended up walking our bikes most of the hill—it's Palamino that turns into Sturgess Rd, in case you're wondering Dad!—'Cause it's an insane hill) and over to the chapel to teach the Burgess boys. OH goodness. They're so cute and ready to be baptised! Eli and Hakeian are their names. Eli is 9, Hakeian 8. And...
they're officially SET for the 20TH OF FEBRUARY!! Yes. Yes – I repeat, we have a baptism THIS MONTH. Because Eli is 9, he counts as an investigator for us, and we're lovin' it! Eli has so many questions all the time and is so excited to learn. He's started reading the Book of Mormon himself – even though he doesn't really super understand. The faith of a child, man.  It's so true! Tuesday we taught them both about the Restoration, and they gobbled it up! Hakeian is pretty quiet – but we try to get him to talk as much as we can between Eli's questions. ;) Funny Story: Eli is SUPER keen to be baptized. So when we were teaching him on Tuesday and we asked if he was ready to be baptised, he said, "YES! I was supposed to be baptised LAST YEAR!!! But we weren't coming to church!" Children really are blessings, aren't they?

So, that talk that says, "Obedience brings blessings, but exact obedience brings miracles!" — TRUTH! I honestly can't remember who said that right now, but I know it was someone... (Ha.  Great memory there, yeah?) 

Also: MY NEW PLANNER theme, because I officially finished decorating it Tuesday: "Worlds Without Number"—'Cause I found a cool picture and article in an old Ensign :) And the quote? From President Uchtdorf!

"This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God.  While against the backdrop of infinite creation we may appear to be nothing, we have a spark of eternal fire burning within our breast. We have the incomprehensible promise of exaltation—worlds without end—within our grasp. And it is God's great desire to help us reach it." 

Love it? Yes. Yes I do!

WEDNESDAY. So –earlier or... I guess at the end of last transfer, we received a referral from the Sisters (as in our STL's) who used to teach this lady named Priya. We finally got over to her part of the area to meet her! ...To find out that she's being taught by the Swanson Elders (aka: our District Leader) in Rinui. Haaaaa. And she super seemed like she didn't want us there. But she was also nice about it? In a slightly sassy/bothered way. So... she's an interesting one. Not sure what to do there! After meeting her, we had more spare time than we planned (that's what biking fast does to you!), so we decided to tract a bit. After nearly having a few heart attacks from some dogs, we found a lovely little house –to which a young Chinese girl came to the door, saw us, and said, "Ooh! Come in! Come in!" Her name is Seng. She's 24, and ADORABLE. She's apparently been having lessons from the Chinese Elders (because they cover basically the whole of Henderson) for the last... year? ish. (Aka: What we call an "eterni-gator.") So... basically we're hoping to steal her from the Chinese Elders and teach her ourselves :) We talked a little bit about weakness, fear, and insecurities, as they all seemed to be concerns for her when we approached, "Why aren't you getting baptised if you like the Church!?" 'Cause – see, she also goes to church and activities and things all the time in the Chinese Ward. She's just wonderful though. We're excited to continue at least dropping in to see her! 

We had lunch, visited the Lekasa's, and had dinner with the Kaipos (unplanned, but grateful for it!) ...Aka: The rest of this day was... slightly less than productive. Which struggled for me. Also because Sister Hobbs' British Pride was shining when Brother Kaipo brought out Scones, cream and jam for us to eat. "This is how you eat a British scone. ... No, you need more jam than that."  What if I don't WANT more jam? Ha. Anyhoo. The British Pride is real sometimes. But... it also helps me to realize the things I'm prideful in, and has in turn helped me realize more about humility and how fully and truly patient the Lord is with all of us. Like when at times we say, "Dude! I'm so cool that I did this thing!" When in reality, it's because of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ that we are even able to DO those cool things. Ha.  

Anyhoo. It was still a good night getting to know the Kaipo's a bit more, and specifically Sister Kaipo for me. I saw that on her shopping list she had written "Colodial Silver" –hahaha... And so I asked, and she said, "Yeah! Do you use it? What do you use it for!?" ...Everything, my dear, everything! So – I also told her about DoTerra, which was something she said she'd been hearing about and thinking about looking into more lately. So... I told her she should.  
(How is it that she would get into that anyhoo, mum?  Without becomiong a distributer or something?) 

THURSDAY began with Zone Training. And then.... a lot of cancellations of appointments (Really. 3 cancelled this day). AND I experienced my first real day of, "I've eaten so much food, I may just POP and die" on the mission. My mistake? We got fish and chips for lunch—later than expected, and then we had dinner scheduled at the Gaitaus. Aka: Samoans. Ha. TOO MUCH FOOD. I was ...just ill for the rest of the night. Ah, And I also FELL OFF MY BIKE! ;) Ha. No worries. Not anything bad. 'Cause I caught myself!  I did something similar to Sister Hobbs though — my bike tire (or "tyre" as they spell it here in some places) slipped off the footpath, and into the grass. But... see, I was turning DOWNHILL at the time, and the grass I slipped into was... rather a deep-ish hole. But, like I said - I indeed caught myself (or – more so, I guarantee you there was an angel pulling me back) from flying forward/over my handlbars. Woooo! 'Cause that's what it felt like probably should have happened. However, the catching myself with my foot was slightly unfortunate, and I twisted my ankle pretty nicely. #WeakAnkles So... we made it to an area of the park with a littel bench, I gave it a rest, and rubbed it out a bit. Then we went to the Taumafai's, visited with them, and left our bikes at their house, and... walked places. Slash – they drove us for a bit as well. Love our members! :) 

FRIDAY... all the rain again. But, honestly I LIKE the RAIN, much more than the BLAZING sun here. But – it did also cancel our service that was planned for the day. And Caroline—because of the protesting that happened here Thursday (...a whole different can of worms about the signing of government documents). Caroline had to go to work that day instead, because she "physically" couldn't get to work on Thursday because of all the people! [An estimated 5,000 people calling on the New Zealand government to “walk away” from the TPP agreement. Many held placards reading “Don't trade our needs for corporate greed,” and “Enough is enough.”] So, anyhoo... our lesson with her was cancelled too. :P And my ankle was a struggle. But, we were able to get our bikes back from the Taumafais, and visit the Pattersons and Victor (Felix's twin brother) just put in his papers! So... he should be getting his call soon. Excitement? YES!

SATURDAY. Comp study with the Elders. Helped with our TWE role plays and ...Elder Hunter is just grand. He and I found out we're basicaly the same person – ah, and he's from Provo! Shy, never talked to people before, and still struggles with it now! Woo! But we all are working on it together. So... life is good. We started out the day after comp study tracting. Crystal Ave. Fun fact: The people we found this day ...were interesting. Ha. A Jehovah Witness, some slamming of doors in our faces, and some... just ignoring us. And then. The SHINNING RAY OF LIGHT! As we had turned around to go back down the other side of the street before going home for lunch, we found Sentosa and her family. She's part of the Bahai Faith – and just... SUPER OPEN to everything. [Their faith believes in unity, one God, the creator of everything. And that our purpose is to learn to know and to love God through prayer, reflection, and being of service to humanity.] So she brought our hope and love for the work back after a struggle of less-than-excited people!

This was also our day of running from one side of our area to the other. We had an appointment with a potential named Vale (Vah-lay). Yup. Definitely wasn't home. But... it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because we still met someone on his street that is potentially interested. AND we had time to make it to our dinner appointement with a member who... doesn't actually live in our boundary. Ha. He lives by our chapel! But not in our boundary. His name is Michael Jee.  Malaysaian man, and super kind. But, also doesn't fully understand the missionary rules. Ha.  We had called Friday night to confirm dinner with him and he said he had found out that he couldn't have us over if there wasn't another woman in the house.  "Yes, that's true!" So he then asked something about going out to a restaurant and mentioned "eating ouside his house" and we said, "yes! That would be fine!  We can be there if we're outside the house." ...Well, he still took it as, he could bring us out to a restaurant. #LanguageBarriers (His English isn't super great. Haha.)  So we got to his home and he said, "Okay! Get in the van!" We felt bad, so we just said prayers in our hearts and just stayed by each other in the back. He then told us we were going to a Malaysaian place! ...Then as he drove further and further toward the edge of our area, we said, "Where is this place?" ......"Kelston!" ...So... Sister Hobbs was texting our District Leader during this whole thing. Ha. And, well, apparently where we ended up was not only out of our AREA, but out of our ZONE! So... we went to Waterview Stake area for about an hour! Fun times. But, no worries, we weren't in trouble, Elder Hunter was just glad that we were okay. And I knew Heavenly Father was keeping us safe. But: We also have to find a way of sharing the FULL RULES with Brother Jee. Haha. Good times. All the adventures of a missionary :) 

SUNDAY. Ohhhh Sunday. It was the day of teaching the Plan of Salvation.  It's a great thing, isnt it? We had some study in the morning, as usual, prepared our lessons for the POS, and went out tracting a bit before church. We met a man named Dan —who, originally when he said hs name, we thought he said "Dam" – even after he spelled it out for us! #ChineseMen But then luckily, he said he would give us his number, and as I got my pen ready to write it down he said, "Oh, I'll do it." And took my pen and paper, wrote down "Dan" and his number. Brilliant.  :) Ah, the other grand thing about Dan? He's moved here pretty recently, and the FIRST thing he said to us when we said we were missionaries for our church was, "Do you have some reading material? 'Cause I've been trying to figure out what church to join. There are so many!" ...Yup. He's GOLDEN. We're excited. 

Church was lovely. We taught Eli and Hakeian the Plan of Salvation. I had drawn out a little daigram with blank spots they could fill in as we taught, and then we copied it for them. Super fun :) THEN, Eli and Hakeian got a double dose of the lesson that day, because Sister Rasmussen had us come in and teach the Senior Primary about the Plan of Salvation for Sharing time! So, during our morning prep, Sister Hobbs made up my same diagram in big pictures for the kids to come and put up on the board and write in things.  So... All the fun :) 

AND I just... don't see how I was so BLESSED to end up in this area! Ha. 'Cause... since my ankle was still... bothersome, we were fortunate enough to have dinner with the Masiasomua's last night. Aka: President Masiasomua is the Physio. So after dinner, he checked out my ankle, back, shoulders and neck.  (You can let Brother Hayes know that he's not the only one that notices the insane amount of tension in my shoulders and neck now!) He said my ankle felt like it was fine, but maybe just weak. #Truth. So... he K-taped it together for me! And he's getting a big rubber band or something from his clinic today for me to do strengthening exercises with.  #Excitement So I'm all K-taped together, AND he did some pressure-point muscle/tension-relieving work on me and Sister Hobbs last night. MAN it was painful. Pressure points. Gah. But... once again, I'm also grateful, 'cause.... I think it may also help with the headaches. He really was amazed at how tight I was though.... he couldn't get my neck, or really much of anything to pop. So that's fun. Hahaha..... 

And another funny thing from last night: When President Masiasomua was working on my back muscles, I learned that the tickle-ish-ness on the right side of my back is... back. In full force. Ha. Explanation: I've always been slightly more ticklish on my right side than my left. Not sure why, but it's like that. Before the mission I'd finally gotten to a point that I could deal with it, minus one little point on my back that was super ticklish. ...Welp [Kenzie-ism meaning "well"] ...all that ticklishness is definitely back. So I apparently almost kicked President Masiasomua in the head... haha! I was laying on my stomach on his massage table, and as he hit the ticklish points, my legs FLEW up. (Like –bending at the knee – but because I was on my stomach.... well, he almost got kicked. Sister Hobbs and Sister Masiasomua were laughing HYSTERICALLY – and apparently I gave President a bit of a scare! They said his face was priceless. Ha. The uncontrollable ticklish spots of Sister Ottley! But so GRATEFUL for the Masiasomua's :)

And, MORE BLESSINGS? We're going back tonight to start teaching member lessons with them. Why is this a blessing, you ask? Apparently the last sisters had started doing the lessons with their family... and then President basically said, "We just never invited them back after!" ...Sadly they really didn't get along with the previous sisters (as a lot of the ward didn't it seems...) So, the fact that he keeps inviting us back is an honor of sorts. So – lots of prayers that the lesson goes well with them tonight ;)  Haha. I know it'll be fine. They've definitely become our family – and for real, they're just like our family, but... islander style! They even have 6 kids! Two boys – but that's because one of "their twins" is a boy. (They also just recently adopted, or are in the process of adopting? their twins though, so they're the youngest. And SO CUTE. #3YearOlds #JustLikeHome!Haha. 

Phew. Long week. Lots of hard things — but they've all been overshadowed by the better things.  Because... there's truly been more blessings than struggles. AND WE HAVE A SET. Alllllll the excitement :) 

Life is grand! Through Obedience, Diligence, and FAITH, Miracles Happen! FAITH, TRUST and PIXIE DUST surely goes a longgggg way! I KNOW, that this Gospel is true. I KNOW that our Heavenly Father has a grand and brilliant plan for each and every one of us. He protects us from the unknown, and for that I'm also grateful. Our Saviour suffered for us, that we would be able to have someone to understand our pains and struggles – as well as our strengths and happinesses. I also know that our Heavenly Father LOVES hearing about the things we do in our days. He loves us just talking to Him at night, and loves us listening as well. Life is grand — and not only that, but a GRAND and beautiful PLAN! :)  

FUN FACTS & QUESTIONS ANSWERED: Have I mentioned at all that my hair is... SUPER blonde now? Well, compared to what it used to be. Ha. Idk if you can tell in any of the recent pictures, but it's kind of gone ombre now. Still semi-sort of "normal" up top, and just blonde at the ends! I sometimes glance down and do a double take, thinking, "Is that MY HAIR?" It's weird.  #NewZealandSunProbs

Also, FYI, at the pace I'm writing in journals, I may have 14 when I get home.  I'm half-way through my THIRD. Crazy! 

Oh, and have I mentioned yet that hugging and kissing-on-the-cheek is DEFINITELY a thing here? (And – I mean New Zealand.  It was the same in the North.) So... when I get home and hug and kiss everyone? Yeah... #ItsAThing #InAllTheCultures

Also: I don't think I've mentioend this either. So, don't think I'm a total "apostate" missionary. "Hell" and "Damn" are most definitely NOT swear words here. They're both quite commonly said amongst the members. Haha. And Sister Hobbs. 'Cause... they're not in England either!  (Which makes me a little jealous that songs like "Gives You Hell" and ...is it Up Town Funk? I think. They wouldn't be considered "bad" songs.) — Not that I've started saying the words or anything. But.... if they somehow ever slip in when I get home? Well, I've been around the New Zealanders too long. Haha. #MyLifeNow It's interesting how different cultures see things differently! [Grandpa would have enjoyed it.] #Repetitive #AndRedundant. 

Dad, How do I polish shoes? Ha. I have shoe polish. But... I"ve never really known how to actually do the polishing part. 

And.., the Spirit World confusion? 
It was the way Sister Hobbs began to describe it that I became confused in the lesson, and it made me realise I needed to study it out in a bit more detail as well. She just made it sound like "anyone who even heard Christ's name here on earth won't be able to hear or learn more in the Spirit world" – or at least, that's how I was taking her explanation. So... it brought in a bit of stress. So: Thank you Liz and Casey for the articles and talks, they're greatly appreciated, and will definitely be printed out and studied!!

AND, the "stern" talk before Elder Christofferson? Haha. Basically, I've learned that Islander missionaries (and Islanders in general) are kind of.... Partiers? (Aka: They like to have fun). So, it was basically just him saying, "When he walks in, you stand up. You WILL be reverent, and IF he wants to shake your hands, we'll call you up row by row. AFTER the conference is over, you'll all vacate the premises in an orderly fashion. This conference is not to be a social event with all the other missionaries here." ...And things like that. HaHa. 

Another Fun fact: Root Beer floats, or rather Root Bear, is not really a thing here. When we saw a can one day, Sister Hobbs was like, "Ah!! Can we get it!?" And I laughed and said, yes. But people here think it's gross for the most part! They think we're crazy for liking it so much in the States!

And Cayden getting his Eagle... I forget quite frequently that the scouting program doesn't exist anywhere else but in the United States of America! So when you told me about Cayden getting his Eagle I got REALLY excited. However, Sister Hobbs was like, "....That doesn't really mean anything to me." And it was rather anti-climactic.  Haha. All goods though. Congrats! 

And I'm so glad you're finally getting all the photos! Haha.  The Butlers (Conan, specifically) have had my camera this week, figuring it out for me. – Ah. Which reminds me, I must clarify names of their family. I have a feeling when I told you originally—when I was still getting to know them—I said names wrong.... Danni (Mum) is indeed NOT Danielle. Don't know where I got that. Her name is just Danni. Haha. Then Conan (....not Corban, which I'm sure I've put before), Emily, and Eliza. Love them all
heaps :) 

Anyhoo, I must be off. We're off to Fairy Falls with the Butler's for a hike today for P-day, so we're super excited!  

LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU ALL HEAPS. You're all the best of all the best, and I"m so grateful for all the things you do for me :) Have a most wonderful week!!!

Arohanui,
Sister Mckenzie Ann Ottley
"Never give up on anyone. And that includes not giving up on yourself." —President Dieter F. Uchtdorf


Me & Sister Hobbs


The Butlers

No comments:

Post a Comment