Monday, July 13, 2015

"Makikenehi" (Mauk - ee - ken - eh - he)

Yay for Mauri! This phrase I have decided to coin as my official "Mauri Motto" for the mission. I believe I've already taught "Kia Kaha" which is "Be Strong" - but I've now added "Harikoa" (Har-dee-quoa) which is the equivalent of "Happy/Cheerful/Excited." So: "Be Strong and Be Excited!" ("e" is "and").

I can't believe that another week has FLOWN BY. I don't know what it's like back home, but minutes and days seem to go shooting past here. But life is grand, the work is BRILLIANT, and I have the best trainer/"mom" in the world.

Like I said, the work is brilliant - even when it's a bit slow. This week brought up a few moments of feeling like we weren't quite filling our time as effectively as we could have. This is due to the fact that there have been a lot of people not home, because it's currently Holiday from school.  So - people have gone down to Auckland, or just on day trips, which makes it difficult to find people to teach!  Including the ones that we teach normally - meaning set appointments fell through a lot this week. But it's "all goods." (As the New Zealanders/my dear Sister O'Reilly say).  We know the work will move on, and we continue to learn as we go about this work together.

One really happy moment this week is that we were able to find a new potential investigator! Sister O'Reilly and I were moving along our way, looking for a couple that had been written down on a list a couple months ago.  However, when we got to the address they had moved... :(  But the good thing is that it led us to Tenisia - as well as her rather drunk sister and cousin... (ha).

Tenisia is a young expectant mother, who just so happens to have gone on maternity leave from work. As we talked with her, Donella her cousin, and Rae her sister, we ended up teaching the Plan of Salvation - which they all seemed pretty keen to. Well- Donella and Tenisia. Rae was a little more difficult.  But the cool thing about it was how many questions they asked. Regardless of their beer-drinking and smoking (none for the pregnant mom, no worries) there was a Spirit there that touched them and got them thinking. We're definitely excited to go back this week to find and teach more - because life is beautiful and we want them to know of this life we live!

Now Daniel. He's great. And also struggling. It's been interesting to be a part of teaching him and watching him as we teach. Yesterday we stopped by his house to teach him after church (because we weren't able to find him a ride to sacrament meeting, and we're not allowed to pick him up...) :(  Which is mostly sad because of the fact that he always tells us he was up and ready to go - but no one showed up. Argh. It's frustrating. Anyhoo.  We got to teach him the *drum roll please* grand Law of Chastity yesterday. Ha! See, here's the funny thing about it. At the end of our last lesson, we introduced chastity a bit - to which he said, "Well, it's a little late for that one, isn't it?"  Because- he has a 5-year-old son. Haha.  We had a good laugh over that one, but we explained that it's the reason we have repentance. So - actually teaching it yesterday was a new experience for both Sister O'Reilly and me together. But we think it went over okay. At first he straight out said to us, "I don't know if I can do this one. I thought it was just going to be giving up drinking and smoking and things."  But- by the end of the lesson, after explaining the blessings that come from living this way, we asked him again if he could live the law of chastity. And he paused, and said, "Yeah. Yeah I think I could." Ahhh!! So - he's still with us. He WANTS blessings, and he WANTS to be a better person. We're excited to keep teaching him, and he's constantly excited to learn.

I've learned a few things about New Zealand. Mainly, that "stain sticks" - like, for laundry - don't exist. Or I'm just really bad at finding them. But Sister O'Reilly also had no idea what I was talking about when I said that - so maybe it really is just an America thing!

I also don't know that I'll be able to actually see Liz when she comes... :/ For a few reasons. 1) Mission President/rules. She really will have to talk to him about it. 2) I'm in the SUPER far north, and I don't know that she'll want to come this far from Auckland... I donno. I guess we'll just have to see! But life is good with whatever may come or happen. :)

One of the things I love about this mission is the closeness of the small branches that are here. There's quite a few of the sisters in our wards that we refer to as "Aunty" - and it just makes me so happy. :)

One of the Aunties I met this week is Aunty Apiata. She's one that's seen the difference between having and not having the gospel in her life, and it's truly just a testimony to me of the truth we are able to live in. One of the things she said to Sister O'Reilly and me this week that really stuck was, "You don't really know what it's like to be a member, until you've been to the temple." - Which, now that I hear it again, can sound a little harsh. But it's not meant in that way.  Her saying that just made me really think, and made me realize how perfect that moment of going through the temple was. It brought such peace and assurance into my life — that we truly are here for a purpose, and that purpose is to live a life that Christ would want us to live. I don't know. It just kind of opened my eyes a bit I suppose.

So - the other thing about Aunty Apiata, is that she's Mauri. And she GAVE ME A MAURI NAME. "Mckenzie" in Mauri translates to "Makikenehi" (Mauk - ee - ken - eh - he). OH, I LOVE IT. Thus: An answer to one of your questions.  Haha. The little pieces I've picked up of Mauri so far are from members, as well as Sister O'Reilly and this little Mauri book we have. We occasionally have "Mauri Minute" at night, teaching ourselves new words and phrases. It's pretty great.

Sister O'Reilly and I are working with Aunty Gloria in the Matauri Bay Branch - she's the YW leader, and struggles because the girls don't want to come to anything, and there's drama between all of them and all this stuff. Soo - we're setting up an activity. A spa day, and hopefully it all goes well and we can get the girls loving each other again!  We're excited for it.

And in answer to your questions... Yes, we put ties on my luggage! Haha. That day/night/day leaving was definitely a blur. No - to multiple missionary companions in our areas :) It's all US! We switch off weeks as to which branch we go to - Paihia is about 40 people, Matauri Bay is about 20 people.  Very small and very different from what we're used to back home! But it's great.  And with investigators, we just have to have faith that they go — ha. And we try to set up rides, as well as fellowshippers to help the investigators out when they get to church.

Oh - one more thing I remembered about this week. The Tua family. They are wonderful. Brother and Sister Tua are an older couple who have taken in a lot of their grandchildren after two of their daughters passed away in an accident.  I'm not sure what the accident was - but they are possibly the most loving family I've met, and have the most adorable grandchildren ever. (1 girl, 5 boys). The Tuas fed us dinner this last Wednesday, and we were oh, so grateful.  Brother Tua also taught me a little Mauri! And this — this is how I'm realizing I can get to the people.  Learning and retaining more of the culture and language.  Brother Tua by the end of the night, with my use of the the phrase "Kia Ora" (which, by the way - can be used for almost anything — hello, thank you, I agree, etc.) was saying, "Ooh! I like this one!" Hahaha.  I'm excited to get to know more :)

And I've acclamated to the temperatures here... haha. Which means I'll probably be really wussy when I come home to the snow... But just a funny thing from yesterday when leaving the flat - The ground was covered with frost and Sister O'Reilly got really excited and started taking pictures of the ground! Haha... Things I apparently take for granted! ;)

Also, we got to give talks and teach Sunday School in the Matauri Branch yesterday! So lucky of us!

MY WEEKLY QUOTES...
"God does notice us, and He watches over us. But it is usually through another person that He meets our needs." —Spencer W. Kimball

"I promise that because of your faithful response to the call to spread the gospel, He will bind up your broken hearts, dry your tears, and set you and your families free. That is my missionary promise to you and your missionary message to the world." —Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Life is good. God is good. And Christ is our forever and always happy Redeemer :)

Life is wonderful. Keep up the happy moments at home, and know that I'm thinking and praying for you all daily!

I LOVE you all! The gospel is true, I'm excited each and every day for it and I'm ready to teach more people (hopefully they'll be getting back from the holiday soon!)

MUCH LOVE! MISS YOU ALL! (My Whanau!)
Sister Makikenehi Ottley ;)

PICTURES:

Check out her new pictures on the Gallery page at the top of the blog! 


No comments:

Post a Comment