Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Master, the Tempest is Raging

Literally. It's been CRAZY stormy here the last few days!! It's finally calmed a bit – yesterday just more misty rain. But it was insane for a bit! And our Zone usually forgets that we don't have a car. So... they say, "Ah!  It's crazy! We got so wet!" ...You did? Oh really? Ha. Jokes. It's all fine :) Luckily both Sister Hobbs and I enjoy the rain.  So it's all goods. :)

THIS WEEK has been filled with PUZZLE PIECES OF LIFE beginning to fit in, and just ... blessings all around. It's just made me think of those puzzles that you have a piece that you can't figure out for the life of you where it goes—and then suddenly it clicks. It honestly wasn't the most amazing or awe-inspiring week by all means, but it was filled with little things that have helped to build us in different ways. The jigsaw of life being put together, piece by piece!

So... when I last left off, it was p-day. Wanna know what we did? We went to a park :) Haha. I love how many little parks there are throughout Henderson. Little reserves on, what seems like, every street. And it's lovely :) But we played Ultimate Frisbee! ...Sort of. Ha. It lasted maybe 10 minutes. But I did play! Even though I still am definitely not coordinated in that way. The Elders just laughed – and I told them I had warned them! A Good day though. Ending with a bit of UNO with the District, and a few visits that night.

TUESDAY was a brilliant day. And the beginning to Sister Hobbs' and my adventures in the real and true TRACTING life. 'Cause, well... the "potential investigators" lists we have from previous missionaries are... well, old. Ha. Most of them were found 2-3 or even 7 years ago. So.... a lot of the people don't actually live in the homes anymore. But some of them have definitely come in handy and help! So – we decided we'd go to the tracting life in hopes of finding new people to teach as our investigating life with Ivan comes to a close... And it was grand. Because even though tracting may not ALWAYS be the most effective way of getting work done, it definitely is all up to your attitude. If you make it exciting – it WILL BE. So, Sister Hobbs and I tracted, and biked, and found some new potentials. We're going to be starting to return to some of the people we've found this week – so fingers crossed that they're truly interested and ready for a message! We're ready to teach some really for real lessons here! Ah – and also, in case you're wondering, I'm realizing that each area has a different "dominant" religion – or a couple, that people attend. Here in Henderson the main one we have seemed to find people attend is "Church Unlimited." It kinda looks like a Christian "rock" type religion? Not positive, but a lot of people seem to like it! –At least it's Christian, right? (Also Catholic. And Methodist. We've run into quite a few of them this week.) Anyhoo. We were also able to get to know the older girls in one of our member families – the Taumafai's. LOVE THEM. Names will come later on, as they have 6 girls, and they all look similar– so their names have now become mumble-jumbled in my head. Haha. But: Getting to know this family (they also brought us out to eat — Butter chicken! It's big here in Hendo) was a BLESSING this night. Why? Because there was a BAPTISM going on in Massey Ward — and we had invited Ivan along so that he could see what it was like before he has his own this week.

But: of course, Satan works his little works, and tried to keep Ivan from coming – making him stuck in traffic on the way back from the beach that morning, and then making him miss his bus that was going to take him to the stake center for the baptism that night at 6. But – no fear, the missionaries are here! Because we were with the Taumafai's, we could PICK IVAN UP. So we popped on over after dinner at the mall, grabbed Ivan, and went to the baptism. And it was a good night. Mostly because we learned what Ivan DIDN'T want for his baptism. Ha. He wants it as simple as it can be. Because the baptism we attended went for an hour and a half – which Ivan wasn't expecting. So, the rest of the night he just kept saying, "The buzz word is SIMPLE! I want a simple baptism! No frills." Haha. He's wonderful.

It was a blessing in more than one way attending this baptism though. Good to get Ivan to one – but also good for Sister Hobbs and me. The girl that got baptized (Emily) is part of a family that's gone through a few different struggles over the years. Her mum has been a member allllll her life (originally from California!), but struggled with different things—divorce and whatnot over the years. So, for Emily (14 years old) it was hard deciding whether to be baptized or not. But she made it, and they're wonderful. The reason I say this family is a blessing to us – is because they're oddly familiar to me. And this was only the 2nd time I had really met them (first being when we went caroling to their home on Christmas Eve as a zone). ...But, super familiar to me. And we were all INSTANTLY friends. Danielle (mum), Corban (16-yr-old boy), Emily (14), Eliza (11? 12?), and Oscar (the family dog) ...And there's more to come why they're such a blessing at this point in time for me :)

WEDNESDAY = more tracting. We met this lady tracting Wednesday morning, named Julie. And even though she super wasn't interested, we became great friends with her. How? HER HOUSE. The most COLOURFUL house I've seen in a lonnnnnnng time. Haha. And so we asked her about it - and she had all these pots with brilliant flowers, that were all decorated with tiles—mosaic-ified, and it was just beautiful. She even invited us in to show us what she was working on right then, and to see her backyard of colour Haha. So.... friends. We're probably going to go back. And I'm tempted to purchase one of her small flower pots.... even though I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with it. Or how I'd get it home in the end of things. Ah – and she also kept telling us she's "not an artist or even artistic" — hahaha. Funny funny people like that ;) We're excited to be friends with her.

THURSDAY. Last day of the year. Whaaaa? That's just insane. I still can't get over the fact that it's 2016 now. But it was a good day. But Also: A CRAZY HOT DAY. Really though. And guess who failed and ........ forgot sunscreen? Yup. You got it! It was me. All goods though. We're fine. Well...sorta. Ha.  #Life. The day started off with Zone Training—really nice, and fun lessons taught. But then... kinda saddening for me once it became one of those days that was not quite as effective tracting. So...that was unfortunate. But, the Butlers had invited us over for "New Year's Eve" (the early version) – and our dear Zone leaders gave us permission to go over (since it's outside our area). Woot! We got to know their family a bit better, and.... then they also invited us over for Sister Hobbs' birthday SUNDAY night. Exciting things. We also think they miss having sisters a lot. Haha. They lived in a different ward for a long time with Sisters, and recently moved into Massey—with Elders. So... theres that.

FRIDAY. Well- remember the sunburn? I'm fairly certain I got a little bit of heat stroke.... But don't worry! I really am all goods now! Ha. I just... felt very narcoleptic Friday. 'Cause.... I literally couldn't keep myself awake! I ended up sleeping it off most the day and, yes – lathering myself in Aloe and Silver gel. (No worries – I do still take care of myself!) So... that began the new year! OH. AND it rained. RAINED. ALL DAYYYYY LONG. We think it was just a nice "cleanse" to the new year! Haha. Wanna know what else occurred to me that's funny? I was in an entirely different YEAR from you guys for a whole 20 hours!! CRAZY!

SATURDAY – more rain. Went out, and found that everyone told us that we "shouldn't be out in this!" Ha. True – but the work must go on! And it was good. We met a few potentials that we hadn't been able to catch before, and enjoyed the rain together. That night we got to go to the Masiasomua's for dinner. Blessings? Yes. It was a pre-birthday dinner for Sister Hobbs – with a delicious chocolate banana cake, aaaaand.... remember how I told you President Masiasomua is a Physio? (As in a physio therapist.... just incase your'e reading that as "psycho" instead of "physio" Ha.) Yes.  He works in the brilliant art of "clicking" as they call it here. Anddddd clicked my back in a few places for me. He thinks it may be more muscle related though – soooo, he said next time we come back he'll actually help me work my muscles to like my bones in the correct spots again :) YAY! Blessings. Allllll the blessings. And he told me I had a lot of tension in my upper back — Sound familiar Brother Hayes? Hahaha. *No one is surprised*

OH. And... I've also decided that the best kind of guys I attract are the young ones. The REALLY YOUNG ONES ;) Haha. The Masiasomua's have a set of twins they're in the process of adopting – a girl and a boy. Almost 3-years-old. And.... Jason is the CUTEST little thing. We became instant friends. He was giving me hugs and kisses! Hahaha. It made me happy – like I have a little Bishop Himiona again! (President Himiona's youngest boy.)

And then. SUNDAY. SISTER HOBBS' BIRTHDAY! (The big 2-0 and no longer a teenager birthday!) Sister Hobbs has a deep love for "bunting" – aka: the little triangle-flag trim of sorts that you see hanging at birthday parties or stores and such? Know what I mean? So Saturday night I made her a "Happy Birthday Sister Hobbs" bunting for our window :) She was rather proud of me. Haha. Too cute. We opened presents and all the joy :) No food though – because, well, Fast Sunday. We also found out where the storms were coming from (or at least – we assume where they came from). There was apparently Cyclones in the Samoan and Tongan islands.... so we're thinking we must have gotten the after-shock of that (or something?).

Anyhoo. Things that help make sense: I learned that having 1 pm church is significantly easier for me in fasting. Have I ever told you that fasting on the mission has seemed to be more difficult than ever in my life? My body doesn't like walking and running and moving so many places with low bloodsugar. And I get crazy tired, really easily. So... that's been a new and fun adventure on the mission. But – 1pm was nice yesterday. 'Cause it seemed easier to have my body up and moving and tracting around in the morning, and then sitting in the afternoon when my blood sugar was super low.

We also got to teach Ivan, and go over the baptismal questions with him again before his interview and baptism this week! ...And this is the point where I would love to say "everything went great, and he's not freaking out, and he's just SO ready!" ...Only part of that is true. Ha. He IS just SO ready – he loves the teachings he's learning in the Church, he loves the idea and he's excited for his baptism, but.... we got to the question of "if you've ever commited a serious crime" ...And, well, at some point in his SUPER PAST life – Ivan did indeed, almost end up in jail. But – that's the thing. ALMOST. He didn't actually. So... he was a little gutted that was a question he would have to be asked, and got quite stressed out about it. :( We tried to help calm him down a bit, and we did – a bit. But... he was still stressing. He just keeps saying he's "just ready to get Saturday over with" ...he's sadly kind of a high-stress/anxiety man, which makes it hard to calm his nerves. So... there's been lots of prayer and fasting. He's also had difficult things with his great nephew being in the hospital this past week with seizures and the doctors not quite figuring out what is going on (sad face). We left him after our lesson, sad, but hoping all would be well. We found out after church that our WONDERFUL Brother Tuta'i (2nd counselor in the Bishopric and currently acting as our ward mission leader) found him leaving after Gospel Principles – and insead of letting him walk all the way home or catch the bus, he just gave him a ride. He talked to him on the way there and helped to calm him a bit more. OUR MEMBERS ARE BRILLIANT. So... Ivan is currently still stressing. And especially now since we have to push his interview back a bit so we can have an older Elder (one of President Balli's counselors) to conduct the interview because of the nature of that question... But: I have faith that everything will work out. Ivan TRULY is SOLID. There's been a little hiccup, but it's nothing we can't deal with. It's all going to be okay :) Ah – and the other thing that super hasn't been helping this week is the fact that his daughter, Grace, is out on Holiday visiting her grandparents. So.... we know he misses her like crazy.

...Also: Prayers would be appreciated for Ivan's mind to calm :) Much love :) <3

The continuing of Sunday was dinner at the Renner family's home – man, they can talk! As well as... the Butlers (as I said - they invited us over for Sister Hobbs' birthday night!) They came and picked us up on Sturges Rd. (the edge of our area – ha. (Have I mentioned that our chapel isn't even technically in our area?) The Butler's are wonderful. And... ready for the puzzle pieces that have fit into my time here even more? It was Danielle (Dani) and Corban that came to pick us up. On the way to the house, there was something mentioned about "concert lighting." ... I stopped them and said, "Wait. Corban.  Do you do lighting??" YES. YES HE DOES. I GOT TO BE A LIGHTING NERD AGAIN WITH SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTOOD. So – part of that night was spent with me getting to know Corban a bit better and talking theatre and concerts and allllll the excitement. And ...I also kept telling him that he needed to come to BYU one day! Haha. 'Cause, well — they would want him. He knows HEAPS, (wayyy more than me) and it would just be SO great. Also: I have connections, so...as long as he works in school, he's definitely in ;) Haha. That night, Dani and Emily drove us home. And Dani started telling us how grateful she was for us, and how much of a blessing it was that I could talk lighting with Corban. She had been fasting and praying for not only Emily – with getting confirmed in church that morning – but also for Corban (because he hasn't come to church for quite a while now... I think maybe 2 years? That could be totally wrong. I feel like it was when he was 14 though). And she said that this could be a way to help him.  #GRATEFULTHINGS.  Another interesting thing Dani brought up is that lately (last 6-7 months) she's had this prompting that's "calling her back home" — as in, to California. And she told us that she's thinking it really may happen in the next 1-2 years. It's truly interesting where life takes you.  And how moving forward brings blessings and puts you in places you wouldn't have imagined!

Cause: Here's another little tid-bit into my life that's finally clicked after this all happened last night and as I was writing in my journal. Toward the end of school, I was honestly bored. I loved it – because it was comfortable and I love the people and they made me soooo happy. But – I had also lost my desire to actually LEARN how to do lighting.  I lost the 'want to learn' about how to put things together and fix things and truly figure out what would look best on stage in the way of design. And.... it was sad. But I realize that's also why I didn't know what I was doing once I got close to graduation. I didn't really want to do the things I loved anymore. So..... The mission is a blessing. Because I've already started missing and craving that life again (clearly), and last night was just... happy. I'm gaining that desire and want for knowledge again – and not only that, but to move forward and actually act on the things I learn.

Anyhoo. This email is forever long. Haha. But.... it's been a good week. We're still praying and hoping to find people who are ready – as Ivan getting baptised this week will result in us having no investigators! Good – and sad, all at the same time. But – we truly do have some nice potentials, and we're excited to go get'em ;)

Ah – and another random thought: I got the weirdest small sunburn of all time yesterday: Even though we weren't outside long – a burn that somehow reflected off my white shirt onto the very top of my shoulder right under my sleeve? Things that don't make sense. Haha. #Talented

But: It's time to move forward with faith, to let our light shine, and to just.... help where we can.  Because that's where the people will be found :)

PONDER-IZE SCRIPTURE OF THE WEEK:

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, they whole body shall be full of light." —Matthew 6:22

My dearest Whanau, this gospel is beautiful. It's REAL and TRUE, no matter where you are in life or in the WORLD. And... it's just great :) I'm grateful that I get to meet and gain new family wherever I go, and that I get to share the message of our wonderful Saviour, Jesus Christ. He blesses and helps each and every one of us on our journeys in life, and helps us to put the puzzle pieces of life together. LOVE. ALLLL THE LOVE :)

I hope you have a most WONDERFUL week ahead, and that you find joy, wonder, and little miracles in each and every moment — even the hard ones ;)

Arohanui, (My Maori will never leave me.... Ivan started throwing out Maori words to us yesterday in church and I was insanely happy. And Sister Hobbs had no idea what was going on.  Haha.)

Sister Mckenzie Ann Ottley

No comments:

Post a Comment